Monday, September 25, 2017

A Cake a Month: September

I almost can't believe it's the last week of September already--in part because it's been so hot! It's been getting up to the 90s here in Wisconsin and not cooling much at night. Where's autumn? I don't know. I'm sure the frosty mornings are on the way, though.

I have a couple apple trees and they actually made apples this year. It's always a question whether they will or not, because the blossoms are so sensitive that a good cold snap in spring can ruin the entire thing. But I knew I had to make a cake with apples this year! I'm very happy I got to use apples from my tree, and of course when I stumbled across this German Riesling Apple Cake I just had to make it. Apples and wine? Yes, please!

My spouse thinks it's more like bars than a cake, and I can see that...The cake bottom is dense and the topping is a bit like pie or other fruit filling. It's definitely not overly sweet, I'd say it has a little tartness to it even. Did I mention almost a whole bottle of Riesling went into it? I made sure the rest of it had a good home!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment